Saturday, June 29, 2019

Whoops, I Got Better, Then Overdid It. Now What?

I figured I’d hoist one more story out of the comment section. I think almost everyone with long-term knee pain can identify with the mistake in this one:
Four years ago, I had a knee injury and an MRI revealed chondromalacia, grade 3. Feeling depressed that my life would never be the same again, I came across your book. Following your strategies I managed to have four good years without pain. My workouts included indoor bicycle, walking on treadmill, swimming and rowing.

Feeling good, I was tempted to go back to my usual training, meaning squats, lunges etc. and light jogging for short bursts, 30 seconds, rest and repeat. I was doing this routine for a month and was feeling OK when all of a sudden it took a bad turn. I have bad pain in my knee for three days. I am feeling discouraged and angry with myself. I am now worried that I am back to where I started. Is there hope that I will recover again? Isabelle
 Ah yes. That old, familiar burst of misplaced confidence. Who hasn’t felt it? After a good week, or a good month, or a good three or months, you think, “I must be healed now, right?” Then you go back to your previous favorite sport or exercise and, after some vigorous workouts, you backslide. You have a bad relapse.

It’s discouraging as hell. There’s no way to put a pretty gloss on a bad setback. It stinks, and it’s going to take some time to get through.

But here are some notes of comfort:

* Virtually everybody trying to recover from knee pain has setbacks. Some are severe. And often, yes, they’re caused by something stupid you did. So you have to make your peace with this. Yes, you did something dumb. But yes, many others (including me) have done the same. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Remember, too much negativity extracts a price when it comes to healing.

* Okay, so now you know something you shouldn’t do. You’ve learned something. Learning is valuable. The setbacks that are most frustrating are those where you can’t identify what you did wrong. That’s not what you went through. You know you made a mistake; now you have to try again, being more careful.

* Finally, will you recover again? Obviously, I don’t know this for sure, and neither does anyone else. However, I’m betting that the chances are pretty good. That’s partly because there are a lot of people who have gone through bad setbacks, and not just one, but multiple, and who have gotten better.

So before you get too discouraged, check out this story that “Knee Pain” left recently (that’s her moniker on this site, and she’s been here just about since I started blogging). Her knee pain came roaring back multiple times, and she just kept patiently working on healing, and at last she seems to be – fingers crossed – getting back to all the activities she used to love.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,
    Great post as always šŸ‘
    Can I just ask you, once you got serious about sorting your knees out, how long roughly did it take for the burning sensation under your kneecaps to go away?
    I also have Peroneal Tendonitis in my right ankle, so I can't walk very far. Walking definitely helps but I am limited by how far I can go. Cycling is out because it's the cause of my problems. Even on my electric bike I can't even spin the pedals as it causes irritation.
    I have just started swimming in the sea. The movement and cold water definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that's a hard one to answer. To completely go away? I still had some occasional burning issues while sitting when I started working again -- a year and a half after I quit my job and devoted myself fully to my recovery. So the burning could be there for many months. I wouldn't get too hung up on that. The most important thing is to keep making progress, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Here I am, after a long time to make an update on the condition of my knees. The constant pain (started six years ago) is almost completely gone. I still feel pain while I'm doing squats, but I'm used to it. Unfortunately, now I have another disease number 1. It's tinnitus and dizziness. Of course, doctors do not know the cause again. But this experience of knee pain has helped me a lot in fighting this new condition. Man is the strongest animal! Greetings everyone and keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timely. I went out walking twice this past week in my hilly neighborhoods. It was a bit late, so I didn't feel it was wise to go walking on my more reasonable local path. I'd shampooed my downstairs as well, so that asked for increased stabilizing of my stance from my knees. I'm paying for it now. Should have just done my recumbent. Lesson learned.

    I'm having to tread gingerly so as not to apply any torque to it. That's a real challenge. I appreciate the love and reassurance of the normalcy of all this. Opportunities reside in my setback.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when you have a setback it always feels worse than it is. In your mind, you see yourself back at square one. I think that's rarely true.

    Jump to about 3:45 in this video for a visual representation:
    https://youtu.be/RwFwKKKAldw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that person had healthy knees for FOUR YEARS and then still managed to have a relapse!!???

    What a nightmare. :-(

    That is a very good cautionary tale.

    My knees have been doing SO WELL that I keep doing more and more and more.....

    But.... this is a good reminder to STAY VIGILANT!!

    I myself have had many ups and downs, but.... now I'm in one of the longest Ups I've had, so, I am really starting to feel like I'm permanently cured.

    But... wait!! No that's not true!! I had a really long window of healthy knees from about 2002 - 2006. That's 4 years. I could bike, dance, hike. I TRULY thought I was cured!! But.... then I had a catastrophic relapse in Fall 2006. That was literally the last time I waltzed until my knees finally got healthy enough and I started waltzing again in May -- just 3 months ago.

    So..... I guess I am my own cautionary tale. Yippee. (insert eye-roll here) Lol.

    Anyway. A very good reminder to keep up with high rep / light load and to slowly also build up my leg muscles now that my knee joint is so healthy.

    Do not slack off!! Everything is NOT fine! Keep working at it slowly and consistently.

    ReplyDelete