Sunday, June 18, 2023

Exercise, the Anti-Aging Drug

The Wall Street Journal ran a good article last week. The premise was a simple one that I heartily agree with:

Longevity researchers have spent decades hunting for a magic pill to slow the aging process. But the best solution--at least for now--may be the simplest one: Move more.

The author points out that exercise stimulates muscle and bone growth that helps lessen fatigue and, for older adults, protect against bad falls. It can reduce the risk of certain diseases, such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

In addition, exercise improves memory. It helps us learn better. It reduces inflammation.

And on and on and on.

All this talk of exercise may seem frustrating on a blog devoted to people with damaged knees. But it's good to know why it's so important to get better: because living a long, happy, healthy life involves being able to do things like play a game of tennis, walk up a mountain or even toss a frisbee back and forth.

What I like most about the opening to this article is that it doesn't say, "Go out and run a half marathon." Rather, the advice is much more basic: "Move more."

People suffering from knee pain won't be able to do the ambitious activities that others engage in. But, no matter how much your knees hurt, there are usually ways to move more without making your condition worse.

I'm reminded of the simple exercise where someone can sit in a chair, place their feet on a low, rolling platform, then just roll it back and forth. This shows that if it hurts to walk, it's possible to start with something really, really easy. I think everyone can find some way to move more.

So that's what's on my mind today. How's everyone doing out there? Any success stories to share?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Richard. I have found that even with my knees that are burning and painful the worst thing to do is sit still all day. When I move I feel better. For me I just have to wait a little while after I wake up in the morning and not do it right away....slowly starting movement gently.
    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard, TriAgain here
    My knees are really, really good now. I only get one small area of intermittent pain near where my meniscus was trimmed which I think is damage to the cartilage on the end of my femur where the loose flap of meniscus chaffed it.
    I'm back to doing short spring triathlons (750m/20km/5km) though my run training is limited due to groin/adductor issues - a result I believe of tight hip flexors = psoas (not that the experts I've seen over the past 2yrs have suggested that - they focus on adductor/core/balance exercises which is still probably good for me, but just like my 6 yr knee journey, is not the entire answer. I did my own research and found tight psoas can cause groin and lower ab issues in cyclists/triathletes, so started stretching them and seem to be getting good results).
    The topic of aging and anti-aging really resonates with my wife and I (she is a cyclist & runner who recently got into tris also). According to our Garmin watches, we both have the fitness age of a 20yo and we are 60 and 61 respectively. Sometimes we cycle with guys in their 70's & 80's and they can kick our butts if they want to go hard. These guys just seem so much healthier than most 50yo's and are an inspiration to us to keep plugging on and not give up when health obstacles emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been dealing with chondromalacia for several years. About 6 months ago I started swimming laps 2-3 times per week. While I’ve found all moderate or steadily built up activity is good, swimming has been the single best activity for my joint. My knee aways feels more flush after, never sore. And the improvement last several days. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete