Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Quick Note About Comment Spam

I've been getting a lot of comment spam lately.

Comment spammers are kind of like parasitical worms. Instead of building a website themselves, they try to leech off someone else's hard work.

Again: I don't mind if you post a comment vehemently disagreeing with me (just try to be civil). I don't mind if you link to something that's relevant to the topic, or talk about something (a product, book, lifestyle change, whatever) that helped you beat knee pain.

What I object to are empty comments that are designed purely for advertising such as:

Really fantastic post. I couldn't agree more. Check out my blog/website at grubforbreakfast.com.

So I encourage everyone never to follow a spammer link. I'm scrubbing them off the blog's comment section as fast as I can. However, I think the only way to kill these pests may be to change how I handle comments. I may try to erect a "low fence" to keep parasites out, but not be too bothersome to the people who actually have bad knees and who have worthwhile things to say.

Update: I have just enabled "word verification" on comments. Shouldn't slow real people down more than a couple of seconds and (hopefully) will drive away the spambots. Let me know how it works!

1 comment:

  1. Seems to work fine, Richard! This will be an interesting test to see how well these captcha devices really work!

    ReplyDelete