Saturday, November 4, 2017

Looking for a Bionic Knee Brace? Read on.

I saw this story last year and bookmarked it. It’s knee-related and kind of fun:
A pair of Nova Scotia researchers are close to producing a "bionic" knee brace that enhances ability and reduces fatigue, and have now landed a lucrative contract to produce a beefed-up version for the Canadian Armed Forces.
Production has indeed started on the “Levitation brace” (I found it selling online for $1,999). The device is a bit pricey, but knee braces are one decent option for bad knees:
The civilian product . . . is intended for athletes going through rehabilitation, workers needing to alleviate knee stress and fatigue and older people with worn-out knees.
It turns out the brace’s inventors know a little about suffering with knee pain:
Both men had knee issues. Garrish (Bob Garrish, the company’s chief tech officer) suffers from osteoarthritis in both knees, and Cowper-Smith (Chris Cowper-Smith, the company’s CEO) was suffering at the time from anterior knee pain, which is also known as runner's knee.
The military application is rather interesting. The brace would help soldiers who are often crouching and standing while wearing packs up to 120 lbs. Also, the company is looking at making a special version to absorb the high-impact stress when paratroopers drop out of planes.

I’m a big fan of devices/tricks to unload bad knees. Has anyone used a brace – probably not this one, but something simpler? How well did it work?

6 comments:

  1. I didnt use a brace specifically. However, back in the days my knees used to be chronically inflammed I started walking in the swimming pool (water upto my chest) for upto an hour a day. I found that really helped reduce the load and keep pain to a minimum. Also, walking in water helps makes the movement smooth which may or may not help in reducing inflammation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Australia I have been using the Knee Support Brace, made by a knee pain sufferer in his back yard and selling for less than $70. Been using it for about 5 months - still have pain and days when I 'give up' on my left knee, but it has got me up and about and walking like a human being. It is a very simple device, home-made as I said, and is apparently helping many people with knee problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found you! Inflamed knees -right is much worse - for about 6 months, but for 3 of those I was able to be in a sort-of denial. I wear one of those wrap around things when I go out, and it helps a bit, kind of like a little support, which is better than no support at all. But sometimes the right knee just screeches in pain through the brace anyway. Am going to read your book and will report back .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen, and welcome. Being in denial is very common with early-stage knee pain! Drop by again and let everyone know how you're doing, cheers.

      Delete
  4. A knee brace was a disaster for me because compressing an already inflamed synovium with a brace resulted in more pain, stiffness and inflammation. I improved when I realised I had become worse with the brace and stopped using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      How are your knees doing now? I similarly having bilateral PFS that is severe and asked Dr. Dye about doing a synovectomy and he also said it could make me worse but didn't explain why. Are you going to have a synovectomy or no? Did he tell you why it could make you worse to get one?

      Reader278

      Delete