Sunday, February 24, 2019

Open Comment Forum: What Does Your Knee Like Best?

I'm going to keep this short, as I'm really tired this weekend. The usual rules apply: you can choose to answer the question I pose, or you can talk about whatever you want to.

It's an open comment forum. All of you are driving the bus.

Anyway, I thought it might be useful to start with this question: What does your knee like the most? Is it half an hour in the sauna, a short and slow walk, a massage, a meditation session, or what?

By sharing what personally works and what doesn't, I think we can all help each other.

All fine with my knees by the way (no, I don't say that to gloat, but rather as a perfunctory update, as sometimes people do ask how much knee pain I still have). Both knees feel good. It's like a rebirth!

Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. Water walking followed by heel sliding ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed the remarkable impact of strong sunshine on my joints. A bit of investigation and it seems that UV light modulates the immune system. As well as producing endorphins. Was it sunny when you were doing your walks Richard? Just been reading the science behind it this book by New Scientist journalist reviewed here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/12/chasing-the-sun-linda-geddes-science-review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes sunny, sometimes not. I didn't really notice a correlation there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have crunchy cartilage behind my kneecaps. It's gotten notably worse over the course of two years since it all started. I am still fully mobile but my knees get more and more irritated the more I move, not to mention if I have to squat fully or even partially for some reason. I can feel damaged cartilage if I press on my knee caps and they catch and grind in various positions. Shortly, my kneecaps are pretty fucked (and perhaps other compartments too). But I have noticed recently that if I wear loose trousers that aren't enveloping my knees but instead provide more space for my knee caps to move freely I feel much more comfortable and there's significantly less clicking and crunching. I guess much less slim jeans for me from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 minutes on my recumbent, almost daily, for the past 14 months has been the best medicine for me. A few nights ago, I actually had to think, "which knee is it?" That's amazing! I'm pedaling away as I type this. I won't give it up and backslide. Just purchased a Total Gym to be delivered on Monday, per Dr. Kelsey's recommendation. It's been frustrating to not be able to work on strengthening my legs, but my mobility has vastly improved. Dr. Kelsey's article was so timely and he totally got it. Thank you, Richard.

    ReplyDelete