Saturday, March 23, 2019

Pro Tip: How to Navigate This Site

So, some news first: I had an interview recently with a freelance writer for the Washington Post. Her topic (a very good one) was how to avoid knee replacement surgery. Well, that’s something I’m not bashful about talking about. If my knees had continued going downhill, I have little doubt that right now I’d be sitting in an orthopedist’s office, and the subject of knee replacement would be front and center.

She asked me how my knees were. That was the icebreaker question. I told her they weren’t normal. I think her breath caught slightly on the other end of the line. I could almost hear her thinking, “A relapse? Did I pick the wrong person to talk to?”

Then I explained that my knees are much better than normal. That’s the crazy thing. I emerged from this knee pain saga with knees that are probably in the top 5% for my age. Honestly, I do not have knee pain, and can chase my kids through the snow without problems, and so I feel very, very fortunate!

I will let you all know once the story runs, assuming she lets me know (or if she doesn’t, one of you can let me know, and I’ll provide a link to it). Of course there’s no guarantee my voice will be in the final story – I’m in the journalism business, and I know a good journalist leaves a lot of material on the cutting room floor – but I think there’s a decent chance.

Now for today’s subject: pro tips on searching this blog.

I realize I’ve been posting here now since June 14, 2010. Wow. Almost nine years.

Since then I’ve covered a lot of territory. So here’s how you can find some things if you’re new and are seeking help:

* If you search the blog for “success story,” you’ll find some detailed stories from people who have overcome knee pain (or are making great progress in overcoming it). I love success stories. Some of these stories you may relate to better than my own.

* If you search the blog for “Scott Dye,” you’ll find more about Scott F. Dye and his concept of the “envelope of function,” which for my money is the smartest framework for understanding and devising a plan to heal from knee pain.

* If you search on “glucosamine,” you’ll find plenty of material on why I think the supplement is basically a waste. But of course, if you think it works, go for it. The only damaged party will be your wallet (unless you’re diabetic).

* If you like reading me being philosophical, puzzling over unusual things, try these:

Of Breakdown Points and Discontinuities in Healing, Part I

Of Breakdown Points and Discontinuities in Healing, Part II

* If you want to read about debunking bad structuralism, go here:

The Odd Tale of the HQ Ratio

* And, last, one reason I’m so optimistic about the ability of cartilage to heal:

Why I’m So Optimistic About Cartilage Healing

Why I’m So Optimistic About Cartilage Healing, Take 2

6 comments:

  1. That is exciting that a Washington Post Reporter is interested in your story. Please do let us know when it gets published!

    I checked back into our knee community today with an update that my knee continues to do well and that I even took my knee out to go cross country skiing. Everything is fine! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total knee replacement was something I considered!

    Before I went in for my arthroscopy to smooth the cartilage for my knee (this was back in 2010 or 2011), I went to get a second opinion. The second opinion doctor thought I should get a total knee replacement. However, I decided to go for the more conservative arthroscopic procedure instead.

    This surgery did solve my knee-locking problem, but it did not solve the original pain problem. I still had knee pain.

    So I asked my surgeon if she thought the next step should be .... total knee replacement? However, she held firm that she felt that my knee could get better through physical therapy and non-surgical methods. So. I stuck with that plan and so far looks like the right decision. I’m
    glad I have been able to heal without a total knee replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your blog. I think there is a communication need between Surgeons used to just offering Knee replacement to older folks, and the options, encouragement, and biological attempts for younger patients with bad knees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any update on the article by the journalist from the Washington Post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've been wondering about that too! Have heard nothing from her, and occasionally I do an internet search for my name and "The Washington Post," and nothing comes up. It's possible her editor quashed the story. You have to remember editors (and I'm one myself, and a pretty skeptical one too) are really hesitant about quoting someone who doesn't have a lot of "credentials" next to his name. I think I have a great story to tell, but I'm not a doctor, and that bothers some people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just in case you haven't seen it already, the article came out Sunday 11/17. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/suffering-from-bad-knees-some-look-for-alternatives-to-surgery/2019/11/15/d286d862-dfd7-11e9-be96-6adb81821e90_story.html

    ReplyDelete