Saturday, May 4, 2019

Open Comment Forum: What Are Your Goals This Summer?

I figured today I'd throw the comment section open to whatever people want to discuss.

If you don't have a better subject, you can take a crack at this one: What are your knee goals this summer? When the weather turns warmer, hiking up mountains and cycling down by the beach become attractive (but potentially risky) activities. (Apologies by the way to our friends down under, as they're not moving into summer, but winter!)

So how do you take advantage of the pleasant, warmer weather without overstressing your knees? What are your plans?

Of course the usual rules apply: Feel free to talk about whatever you want to below. You don't have to discuss the headline question. Share your problems if you're seeking insight. There are a lot of smart people who hang out at this blog who are generous about sharing their experiences with the struggle to beat knee pain.

I hope all are having a good month of May so far!

  

4 comments:

  1. Hiya all. I have just devoured the book in 2 days and it has given me hope.
    Your story really resonates with me. I am 47 and have been a life long cyclist. For the last 2 years I have had the burning sensation under my left kneecap , which of course I ignored as I didn't have any pain accompanying it.
    In Aug 2018 I bought an electric skateboard and spent 2 months hammering around on it, enjoying every minute.
    In Oct I developed Peroneal Tendonitis in my right ankle which put me right out of action as I could barely walk a few meters at a time. A consequence of this was that I was doing all my weight bearing on my left leg now and the only exercise I could now do was cycling.
    So guess what...... I upped my cycling.
    The burning gradually got worse over the winter and then the knee would start to crack when straightening from more than a 90 degree angle and would feel like it wanted to lock up.
    Having devoured the book I have now locked the bike in the shed and have started gentle walking. I'm just hoping that the cracking will lessen in time as it's really freaking me out, especially the locking feeling.
    I'm so glad I have found this site. It's such a huge resource and inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to work part-time for 3 days in the office. It is my 6th week and it still seems difficult since I am not in my bed with zero or little tension on my knees. I also managed to adjust my diet to another level which is 80-100% lean and healthy. I lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks. This will be second and my last try for working at the office. If I cannot manage it through this summer, I will start my "true rest" which many patient achieved to heal through it.

    I still cannot find a pouffe for the office which I can rest my knees while working. I bought the pouffe below but I cannot prevent tension in my knees.

    https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/sandared-pouffe-gray-30363966/

    Is there anyone who also have gone through this process and found a chair or a pouffe to work with a comfortable way? I would be grateful if I can get some advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone ever heard of getting clutch for it or having the knees the left knee specifically get worse due to using a standard shift? Especially in small car like I have: a Mazda Miata.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant clutch foot… FOOT, from using a standard shift but I’m finding that my knee is bothering me more, the left knee, when I use the clutch because I’ve already entered it by over running. Which is why I bought this book. To heal it.

    ReplyDelete