Sunday, June 16, 2019

Will Knee Pain When Climbing Stairs Ever Get Better?

Okay, today we’re off to my equivalent of the mailbag, the comment section.

I got this one recently:
I have been dealing with patellofemoral pain syndrome for nearly 1 year. At the beginning I could not walk more than 2-3 km, I needed to rest to go on, could not run, and was scared to cycle. Now 1 year later there is no limited walking for me, I can run 8 km and there’s no problem with cycling but stairs are still a serious problem.
At the beginning I was doing squat, quad exercises etc. and these exercises were terrible for my knees and I stopped doing these. I started to walk 10-15 thousand steps every day and cycle 30 minutes 3-4 times a week as you said. When I use the stairs I feel pain.
So my knees feel okay now and I wonder whether I am gonna feel exactly normal in the future maybe 1 more year later. I mean, do I need to follow the same path further or could you suggest anything else for me?
First of all, I try to avoid suggesting things or giving advice. I’m not a doctor or physical therapist. But I can give you a few things to think about, and perhaps others on this site may want to chime in as well. I’m fortunate to have a pretty smart readership.

Second, congratulations! You may not think so, but you’ve made good progress in one year. You can run eight kilometers (about five miles for those of us in the U.S.), you can walk considerable distances apparently, and your knees handle cycling well. This is all very, very positive. I know, sometimes in the midst of what can be a long healing process, it’s easy to get discouraged. But you should take a moment and feel good about how far you’ve come.

Now, what comes next? This is always difficult, especially when it feels like you’ve reached a plateau. You don’t want to accidentally overstress your knees and move backwards. If you just continue to do the same things, but ramp up the intensity a little, will your knees heal to the point where you can feel comfortable on stairs again?

Maybe. Maybe not. The truth is, it’s just about impossible for me, or anyone, to guess based on the information you’ve supplied. Patellofemoral pain syndrome, I’m convinced, is a bogus, non-diagnosis. It doesn’t describe whatever is ailing your joints. It’s just your doctor’s fancy way of saying, “You have general knee pain that has no clear underlying cause.”

So what might you consider doing?

Well, you could stay on your current course, but start to slowly build up the intensity, especially of the cycling. Cycling builds strong leg muscles, which may be useful for navigating those stairs. Also it may thicken the cartilage under the kneecap; triathletes were found in a study to have thicker cartilage under the patella. I think cycling is the most likely reason (pure conjecture on my part, but I doubt it’s because of the swimming, and am skeptical about running having that effect either).

Or you might consider trying to do leg exercises, but in a completely different way. I wouldn’t do full-load squats if they bothered my knees. No way! But if you can get access to a Total Trainer, it allows you to do exercises at less-than-full body weight. That could enable you to build up your ability to better handle squatting (and stair climbing), but slowly. And, as I’ve written, with a little creativity, you can rig up something that will let you do squats in a way that doesn’t stress your knees too much. I did! See here.

Best of luck!

2 comments:

  1. I will say that I can finally go up and down stairs without pain.

    Down was always harder than up for me. Much much harder. Much more painful.

    After MANY years of knee pain, i developed a way to go down stairs such that I did not put any weight on right leg while it is bent. I had the "fast mode" for when I'm feeling a little better and then also the "slow mode" for when my knee pain was really flared up but there was not an elevator.

    But, here's the weird thing.

    After my knee started getting quite healthy... I still had trouble going down stairs. It's as if I forgot how to do it.

    So. I had to re-learn this skill in stages.

    Stage one is facing the stairs squarely and having a DEATH GRIP on the railing while I tried to go down the stairs -- basically putting a large percentage of weight onto my arm/hand instead of my knee.

    But. Over time... I was able to slowly teach myself and trust my knee to put weight on the bent knee while I move my left foot down to the next step.



    Now, after a year, i have pretty much re-trained myself to walk down the stairs like a person without knee pain. I still have to THINK about it though. The whole time I'm thinking about having a steady pace and to not revert into my old ways.

    However, if I'm TIRED, then, forget it! Lol! If I'm tired, then, I just go down the stairs "without thinking" which means that I go down limping, one by one, even though I'm not in pain. But. It's just a long in-grained habit for how to go down stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just add that....

      I have friends who have known me for YEARS and have witnessed me deal with stairs for YEARS. Some of these friends have had to push me in a wheelchair when my knee got too bad or walking super duper slowly with me when I was in pain.

      And, actually, mostly over the years I AVOID stairs. I always take the escalator or elevator. And, my friends know that so when we are together then they know i'm going to just head for the elevator. But, if i do have to take the stairs then... i had to just go one by one. Really slowly. holding onto the railing.

      BUT! Now-a-days, I'm surprising and delighting my friends because I head for the stairs! They get SO SURPRISED! "Um.... you don't want to head to the elevator??"

      I'm so happy that I can do stairs now and it's not a "big deal." :-)

      Delete