Saturday, September 7, 2019

A Musing on My Occasional Knee Recklessness

I may not be the best role model for someone trying to figure out how to manage the post-recovery period after beating knee pain.

This occurred to me a couple of months ago. I was struggling with a little pain at the side of my left knee.

What happened: As some of you may remember, I broke my hand in two places while cycling on Aug. 11 of last year. That left me in the basement, racking up miles cycling in the virtual reality world of Zwift, and sometimes badly disobeying my doctor’s orders to minimize sweating under my cast.

Eventually the cast came off and I was cleared for cycling again, but by then it was late in the season and I figured I’d just stay inside, logging miles on Zwift, until April.

Now normally, I take off a month or two during the winter and only do easy stationary bike cycling. I figure it’s good to give my knees a little break. Not this year though. Frustrated about the broken hand, and trying to preserve some semblance of conditioning, I did long rides and races on Zwift, pushing myself hard. My best ride, I averaged 251 watts for 51 minutes, which I thought was respectable.

But, during a race on Zwift, I pushed down hard with my left leg to go up a sudden steep climb and got a sharp pain on the inside (medial) of my left knee. It kind of lingered for months. Every time I thought it was gone, I’d move my leg/knee a certain way – and bam – there it was again.

I think it was a ligament sprain. In any event, intense cycling wasn’t helping any. So early in July, I finally went into knee conservation mode. I began cheating on pedaling, putting more stress on my right leg. I backed off sprints. I went out on more rides alone.

It took about a month, but the knee got better and I’m fine now.

But the experience did make me think: Wow, I managed to heal my knees and then dove right back into the kind of crazy cycling I’ve always loved to do. Which is great on one level: I did succeed in returning to doing exactly the same intense physical activity I had grown to love.

However: a more sensible me might have toned things down a bit. I probably could have avoided some of the little burning-under-the-kneecap episodes I’ve had since 2011, when I published the book. I’ve talked about those before, and they never lasted more than a few weeks or a month, but I think they came about because, well, I like to ride my bike really damn hard.

If I had just wanted the most trouble-free knees, I would have adopted a moderate riding program, not the cycle-til-you-want-to-collapse riding that I often do. So maybe this isn’t the most sensible way to handle your post recovery. Still, I will say that I’m always careful now to monitor symptoms. When I feel as if a knee-related problem is starting to spiral out of control, I modify my behavior and nip it in the bud.

The takeaway here is that I’m not encouraging anyone to do what I’m doing. It’s rather hardcore. But I’m also saying with my example that, if you bring your knees back from a painful state, and do it carefully, that there’s a good chance you can return to doing whatever you want. Just take small steps to get there. :)

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm guilty of this too. My knees have flared up a fair bit again as I never completely lost the idea of a return to triathlon. I've had to let that go, and just limit my triathlon now to swimming as part of a team - which thankfully is possible with my wife who rides & runs, and sometimes our daughter runs for us.
    I'll try to keep up some more modest cycling, but yesterday I finally realised that running is out.
    I reckon if I basically took 12mths off and just did gentle walking I could get them back to normal, but I'd probably go crazy if I did that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Richard! Yes, I'm finally able to do much more(some short hikes, some bike rides and fair amount of walking) than I did last year where it was all pain and limitation. I actually had something similar happen to me this week. My knees have been feeling great, no pain and I was even able to get up from the floor bending with my injured knee. I went to yoga and I pushed a bit (+ we did a fair amount of kneeling, which I use a towel under my knees but obviously still not a great idea). The day after yoga I had pain, and that familiar burning sensation, plus quite a lot of discomfort. The good news is that now it only lasts about 2 days to get back to normal, as opposed to 3 weeks last year. So that type A personality trait is still there!
    BTW I just wanted to share some news. I've been seeing Dr. Dye since last year, I'm lucky enough to live driving distance to his office. He's been instrumental to my recovery. He's a great doctor and very compassionate as we have been sharing over the years in this forum. He told me last visit that he'll be retiring at the end of this year. I just wanted everyone to know. He's taking a medical leave all of September and he'll be back in October but only till the end of this year. So if anyone was planning on seeing him, you have 3 moths left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am currently getting small signs that I am over-doing-it. :(

    My knees have been doing so well that I increased my number of swing dance outings to be twice per week AND I have also amped up my swimming intensity.

    At first it was fine.

    But now my knees have a mild ache. My knees have not ached like this for at least a year. Maybe 2 years.

    So. I’m getting worried. The ache is a clear sign they are slightly grumpy. I need to listen and take this as a clue to reduce my activity so I don’t have a full knee flare up.

    I noticed that I have automatically reverted to some of my old coping tactics such a special way of going down stairs and a gingerly manner of walking after I’ve been sitting for a long time.

    So. My plan is to:
    — Just go dancing once per week.
    — Reduce the intensity of my swimming.

    Sigh.

    Also......In late July I stopped doing the leg strength training I had been doing since November. But. Maybe I should get back to doing that. I wonder if ceasing the strength training is also playing a factor in my currently knee aches now. Hard to know. Always so many factors to consider.

    To be sure, my knees are not super achey! Just minor at this point. But. I’m hyper aware of anything going on with my knees and worry that it’s a sign they are being pushed too hard. The Lindy Hop style of swing dance it pretty hard on knees because of the swivel step. But. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it’s been about a week since I wrote that I was going to ease up my on my dancing activities. The result is that the ache in my knees has disappeared.

      I’ve been doing some reflection.

      Lindy Hop style of swing dance is particularly hard on knees. There’s swiveling. There’s bouncing. There’s pivoting. There’s direction changes.

      I decided to try out different styles of dancing that maybe be less hard on knees. This way I can still go out dancing multiple times per week and also maintain healthy knees.

      I’m trying out West Coast Swing which is a lot more knee friendly! So far so good. :)

      Delete