Sunday, October 11, 2020

Could Turmeric Be Useful for Muting Knee Pain?

The latest study making the rounds is about the possible health benefits of turmeric for knee arthritis sufferers.

Turmeric, a yellow spice with a bitter taste that most people probably know as the flavoring for curry, is believed to be an anti-inflammatory.

The study took 70 people with knee pain and gave half of them a capsule full of an extract from turmeric every day for three months. The other group received a placebo.

After the trial concluded, the people taking the turmeric extract had more improvement in pain than the placebo group. The typical benefit was described as “modest.”

One red flag with this study: a supplement maker supplied the pills for the study and some of the funding. Knowing the history of glucosamine, and the early poor-quality and conflicted studies that were done looking into its efficacy, I would urge an appropriate dose of caution because of that.

Someone involved in the study does acknowledge that more research needs to be done.

That leaves me curious: Has anyone out there had success with using turmeric?

I suppose I should share my own experience. When I was in Hong Kong seeking to heal from my chronic knee pain, my mother sent me a bottle of pills, and I remember that turmeric was touted as one of the main ingredients.

I took all the pills. I noticed no difference in how my knees felt.

But that’s just my own experience. Anyone else out there have a story about turmeric, good or bad?

3 comments:

  1. Hasnt helped me. Only light movement. Hey Richard funnily enough I have now developed that elbow pain you were talking about in your ook. Has yours healed now? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am more and more convinced that all these problems have little to do with the injuries itself and a lot with metabolism. Anytime I think about the subject more I think that dr. Dye nailed it.

    ReplyDelete