Saturday, January 30, 2021

What’s the Relationship Between Knee Pain and Cartilage Damage?

Ah, what an interesting question. Early on, I tended to think that, where there was chronic knee pain, you’d find damaged cartilage in the joint.

Of course, not in all cases. But in very many.

However, after I learned more (and heard more personal stories from all of you), I modified that belief. People who have knee cartilage that appears perfectly fine get terrible knee pain sometimes. And people with potholed cartilage can have pain-free knees.

But – here’s the but – I definitely think there’s a high correlation between knee pain and bad cartilage. One does not necessarily imply the other. But there is a good likelihood that if you have persistent knee pain of difficult-to-determine origin, you have issues with the cartilage in the joint, or vice versa.

In fact a recent study, looking at 565 people who had a knee arthroscopy, supports this:

Published results showed a strong association between patient-reported knee symptoms and the burden and severity of underlying cartilage damage rather than with specific meniscal pathology ... researchers intraoperatively confirmed and classified the diagnosis of meniscal pathology and concomitant cartilage damage.

The researchers found that “the mean average symptom score increased with the severity of cartilage damage.” Also, there was a relationship between the number of compartments where damage was found and the intensity of symptoms reported.

When there was damage in three knee compartments, there was more frequent catching and locking of the joint, as well as grinding and clicking symptoms. Women and heavier people (a BMI of more than 25) were more likely to have more widespread cartilage damage.

The good news is that cartilage doesn’t have to be restored to a pristine state to get rid of bad knee pain, I believe. So, in the end, “damaged cartilage” shouldn’t mean you’re stuck with those bad knees forever!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Richard,

    Thank you for continued this blog and forum! I recently visited a neighbor who's 38 years old and has Lyme's disease and MS, I was trying to help him out as he has severe balance issues and has to use a walker. Why am I sharing this,? you may ask. Well, he has a PEMF machine (pulsed electromagnetic field therapy. That day I was having some discomfort on my left knee, as I still continue with my journey to recovery, and he let me use the machine. I was on it for about 45 minutes and I was surprised with the pain reduction that followed the use. I was intrigued and did some more research and I wanted to share some of the studies I found, since apparently it has been proven that it can significantly reduce inflammation and pain. Here is is: https://archivesofrheumatology.org/full-text/311
    I'm considering getting a unit.
    Good luck to everyone on your healing journey!

    ReplyDelete