Sunday, October 12, 2014

Time for Another Personal Note

Some of you may have noticed that I have been posting less frequently.

Well, in April of this year -- for the first time in my life -- I became a homeowner. My family now lives on Long Island’s north shore. Our community boasts its share of the affluent; I like to joke that we’re the poorest people in town. The major attractions included the excellent schools and low crime and short distance to beaches and water. Our house -- as befits a house belonging to people who aren’t among the nouveau riche or the nouveau near riche or anything like that -- has its share of problems. Windows that won’t open (normally). Leaking tubes in toilet tanks. A broken air conditioner in the basement. Etc.

So now, along with having two kids who constantly clamor, in their own ways, “Play with me!” I have an equally insistent house clamoring “Work on me!” So I’ve repainted a room, replaced door locks and fixed leaks in a toilet tank. When your home was built on the cusp of the Great Depression, in 1928, there’s never a shortage of things to do.

However, I’m still actively monitoring the blog, even on weeks when I don’t put up anything new. Recently a post attracted 36 comments! While that had more to do with people talking amongst themselves than the actual post, I think it’s great that a small community of (pretty smart) knee pain sufferers has cohered around this blog.

As for my future plans:

I’d like to get out a second edition of Saving My Knees in 2016. Why?

Among other things, I want to update readers on how my knees have been since I published Saving My Knees (basically, great). Partly I want to do this because I still get e-mails from well wishers that contain lines like, “I hope your knees are feeling better.” Also I want to talk about what I’ve learned since that publication day, back in January of 2011. And I want to address frustrated readers who complained that they couldn’t figure out how I healed my knees from the book (it isn’t all that exciting, as I’ve said before on this blog, but I never meant to leave this as a mystery).

Because I think Saving My Knees is about 10 to 20 years ahead of its time (in the rejection of structuralist tenets and in the level of justifiable optimism in cartilage healing, or at least improving substantially), I think the message on its pages will continue to be fresh for another couple of decades. We’ll see.

In closing, there’s one other cool thing I wanted to mention: Sometime recently, while I wasn’t paying attention, this post of mine became the most read on this blog:

Here Are My “Radical Beliefs” About Healing Bad Knees

I love it. This short post shows the reader, largely using common sense, that what I believe about healing bad knees isn’t crazy. What’s really crazy is the traditional treatment protocol (and underpinning beliefs) that doctors and physical therapists advocate.

2 comments:

  1. Best if luck with all the exciting new developments in your life.

    Very much looking forward to the second edition of your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. If you bought the first edition, that's probably enough. :) The second edition will just be a new introduction and some additional chapters at the end.

      Delete